Young Women of Achievement

Julia Koziatek, News Reporter

Each year, young women from the Belleville West senior student body are selected to be awarded the Young Women of Achievement award, presented by the Belleville-News Democrat and the Belle Clair Rotary Club. Four award recipients are selected from each Belleville high school: Althoff, Belleville East, Governor French, and Belleville West.

The award recognizes the accomplishments of the selected students in four categories: athletics, arts, academics, and community service. 

To be considered for the award, the student must first be nominated by a staff member at the school they attend, and must excel in any of the following categories: Performing or Fine Arts (Art, Chorus, Music, Theatre), academic success, athletic involvement, volunteer service in community organizations, and leadership positions in school clubs, organizations, associations and activities.

A committee of teachers, counselors, and coaches will select the four candidates from Belleville West.  

“The ideal candidate is someone who has positive school conduct,” counselor Ms. Jen McMurray said. 

A ceremony will be held to honor the award recipients in the spring, which will include a dinner and keynote speaker. Past speakers include Grammy Award-winning opera singer Christine Brewer and Dr. Patricia B. Wolff, founder of Meds and Food for Kids.

Nominations for the award are due to Ms. McMurray by January 17th, and the ceremony will be held on April 6th.